Why Register Your Trademark
A Federal Trademark Registration gives you an advantage over your competitors.
Owning A Registered Trademark Gives you These Advantages in the USA
- The ability to use ® next to your trademark
- Notice to the public that you own the trademark
- A legal presumption of your exclusive right to use the trademark with your products
- A right to bring a trademark action in federal court
- Use of your registration as the basis for a foreign trademark registration
- Recognition by the U.S. Customs Service – Stop the importation of cheap goods using your trademark.
- Uniform protection accross the U.S.A.
Is Registration Required by Law?
No. You can establish common law trademark rights merely by selling your goods or services. However, a Federal trademark registration gives you those same rights across the U.S.A. Other countries have different requirements. If you want to sell your products overseas, call us to discuss your plans. We have experience filing trademarks around the world.
When Can I Use the Trademark Symbols TM, SM and ®?
If you are selling your products, you have common law trademark rights and you can use the TM symbol. If you offer a service, you can use the SM symbol. Registration with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office is not required.
You are only permitted to use the ® symbol when you have registered your trademark with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and it can only be used with the goods and/or services identified in your registration. The ® cannot be used while your application is pending.
An easy to understand step-by-step overview of the trademark registration and filing process.